Clostridium difficile has resulted in a rather common infection diagnosis, with approximately 200,000 cases per year. 

Clostridium difficile is readily transmissible by traveling bacterial spores from person to person and notably hard to get rid of once it sets up shop in a medical or community environment. 

There is an ongoing effort to find new and more effective treatments. Hypochlorous acid is one such potential treatment option. To properly discuss the efficacy of a proposed treatment, we must first briefly discuss the illness itself.

What is C-Diff?

C-Diff or Clostridium difficile colitis is an inflammation of the colon caused by the Clostridium difficile bacteria. C. Diff bacteria are present all around us, in the air, water, soil, and fecal matter of humans and animals. Many people have the bacteria present in their intestines and never experience any adverse effects.

 Problems with the existing C. Diff bacteria often emerge when you take antibiotics to kill bacterial infection and kill off the good bacteria that keep Clostridium difficile in check. You can also become infected with Clostridium difficile through contact with contaminated clothing or sheets and then proceed to touch your mouth or nose. 

Clostridium difficile infections result in frequent watery diarrhea, severe cramping, fever, nausea, loss of appetite, and dehydration.

Existing C-Diff Treatments

Although antibiotics are frequently the culprits in triggering C-diff infections, there are some that target Clostridium difficile as well. 

They include Metronidazole, Vancomycin, and Fidaxomicin. C-Diff infections tend to be quite stubborn and can be challenging to get rid of. 

They can also recur with frequency, especially while awaiting the natural repopulation of healthy bacteria in your intestines. You may also experience challenges with C-Diff recurrence if you live in a long-term care facility or are a patient in the hospital.

Hypochlorous Acid as A C-Diff Treatment

What is Hypochlorous Acid 

Hypochlorous acid is somethings referred to as nature’s oldest disinfectant. It is also resident inside your body as you sit here reading this. This is because hypochlorous acid is the substance your white blood cells naturally produce to help fight off infections. 

It is also the active ingredient in electrolyzed water, which is used for green cleaning and sanitizing. Finally, hypochlorous acid is the ingredient that gives bleach to its anti-microbial power.

As previously noted, hypochlorous acid is a naturally occurring product in the human body. However, it can be artificially created outside the body as well. 

Hypochlorous acid is made by applying electricity to three ingredients: salt, water, and vinegar.

Medical Uses for Hypochlorous Acid

Hypochlorous acid is quite safe for use in the healthcare and the medical environment as a disinfectant. Hospitals here in the United States use it to kill bacteria as it is highly effective. It has also been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use as in wound healing, wound care, and eye care products.

Hypochlorous acid is used in medical and hospital settings to kill many different bacteria, viruses, and germs. It has also been shown to be effective on hard to kill pathogens such as Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) and others.

Is Hypochlorous Acid safe to drink if you have Clostridium difficile?

Due to its powerful nature, hypochlorous acid has been considered as a treatment for C-Diff. 

Again, hypochlorous acid is a naturally occurring substance in the body, which makes it (in the correct chemical quantities) very safe for humans when used as a cleaning agent or in wound and ocular (eye) care.

Clostridium difficile is an intestinal infection that results from changes to the bacterial properties within the intestinal tract. Consequently, there has been some question as to whether hypochlorous acid is safe to drink as a treatment option for C-Diff. Unfortunately, there is very little evidence, either pro or con, for the oral consumption of hypochlorous acid. 

There are many sites and sources that indicate there are significant risks involved in a treatment such as this. Keep in mind; hypochlorous acid is the primary ingredient in bleach. 

Therefore, if the solution you drink is not made up of the proper concentrations of elements, it could result in dangerous side effects.

On the other hand, in 2007, researchers in china applied for a patent related to orally taken hypochlorous acid as part of a liquid suspension, including brown sugar (or honey or milk) and boiling water. This process seems to be designed to reduce the possible chlorine levels in the mixture. It is unclear whether a patent was issued, and there is no such patent request or related research clearly documented here in the United States.

All things considered, hypochlorous acid will kill Clostridium difficile when appropriately used as a disinfectant. It will also kill other pathogenic microbes that are commonly regarded as difficult to treat or kill. 

Currently, there are various treatment options for C-diff, which have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. There are also not any studies that can speak to its efficacy or safety when hypochlorous acid is used as an oral treatment.

Resources

https://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/clostridium-difficile-colitis
https://patents.google.com/patent/CN101313916A/en