If your children have been eating the all-American type diet and non-nutritional foods, it actually can be quite simple to eliminate the processed “junk foods” and replace them with healthy foods that help prevent disease. As an example, a glass of water is a much better choice over soft-drinks which can CAUSE WEIGHT GAIN and hasten OSTEOPOROSIS, and the METABOLIC SYNDROME.
“Lifelong food habits form early. It’s all what you are used to.”
It’s also a shame the way children are targeted with foods full of inflammatory fats.
Whole raw milk is actually better for them as it has the ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS which promote BRAIN HEALTH. Yes, I mean stay away from skim milk! Raw milk is best
Where Should You Begin to Change Your Diet?
Eliminate ALL processed foods and sugar. Sugar is the modern day poison!!! Once eliminated, the sugar cravings will go away in a few months.
Sugar has been associated with many things besides cavities. It is proven to spike post-prandial blood sugar levels, and cause kidney and cardiovascular damage. Read my article on Sugar – The Modern Day Toxin!
Also, CUT BACK ON CARBS, even fruit. They contain a lot of fructose so it is wise to not overdue it on fresh and dried fruits, and juices.
Stay Away from These Foods
- High fructose corn syrup – High fructose corn syrup is always found in very poor-quality foods that are nutritionally vacuous and filled with all sorts of other disease promoting compounds, fats, salt, chemicals, and even mercury.
- The dirty dozen foods that contain pesticides
- All processed cereals, especially sugared cereals. It’s like giving your child a bowl of candy for breakfast.
- All refined sugar, (see the healthy sugars list)
- White bread
- Granola bars, pop tart, pastries and doughnuts, and the like
- Modified corn starch, anything that says modified
- Processed meats and most deli meats, (hot dogs have really bad fats and sugars!)
- Fast food “happy meals”
- STAY AWAY from LOW-FAT EVERYTHING, this is actually HIGH SUGAR and is EXTREMELY FATTENING! See my article, The Low-Fat Diet Myth
- Canola Oil – It is genetically modified and a partially hydrogenated oil
- Soda pop soft drinks, concentrated juices, cool aid etc. Encourage drinking water as much as possible! Water and raw milk are the best choices for your children.
- SKIM MILK, this is a waste product just like fluoride and much more!
- Soy milk, unless it’s fermented, disrupts hormone balance. Not recommended for children.
- Margarine and mayonnaise, avoid this stuff!
Healthy Food Options for Families
- The Clean Fifteen
- As much Organic and Non–GMO foods as possible
- Raw cow’s milk and dairy products – at least purchase organic, grass fed products. Read my article, The Health Benefits of Raw Milk.
- Organic fruits and vegetables
- High Quality Protein, such as grass fed free range beef and poultry, wild caught fish (Omega-3 fatty acids , esp., DHA) (see essential amino acid list)
- Organic farm eggs
- Organic Coconut Oil & Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, cold-pressed
- Butter (Kerrygold Pure Irish)
- Deli meats with no nitrates
- Filtered water with lemon wedges
- Food products that say Non–GMO
- Bone broth soups
- Homemade granolas (see recipe below)
- Gluten-free products, such as pasta’s (limit or eliminate gluten)
- Local honey
- Fresh fruit juice, limit to 6 oz. per day, (dilute with filtered water)
- Fermented Foods (see Todd Vincent’s coleslaw recipe below)
Many organic products are now found at Costco, Trader Joes, Sprouts and general grocery stores, etc. Don’t forget about your local farmer markets.
About the Weston A. Price Foundation
The Weston A. Price Foundation (WAPF) is a great source for accurate information on nutrition and health. Their goal is to provide the scientific validation of traditional foodways.
Sally Fallon Morrell’s Books
- Nourishing Traditions Cookbook
- Nourishing Traditions Book of Baby and Child Care
- Nourishing Broth
- 4 cups organic old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup raisins or craisins
- 1cup slivered almonds or pecan pieces
- Mix together and store in tight container
- Serve with raw milk. Let it sit for a few minutes to soak.
- Add honey or small amount of raw sugar if desired
Option is to add honey or molasses to mixture and spread on a cookie sheet.
Bake at 325° for about 20-30 minutes stirring occasionally.
Cool and store.
- 1 pint fermented chopped cabbage
- ½ chopped apple
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- 1 or 2 TBS sesame seed oil
- 1 TBS Maple syrup
Mix together and chill. Yummy!